View Single Post
      06-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #184
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Phenomenal misunderstanding of contract law and liability risk expressed here in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Actually, something looked very stupid and suspicious, so I re-read the original post by the Roundel reader, and he's a f**king moron.

I'm 99.9% certain that you have to carry personal and vehicle damage liability insurance in order to register a car in all 50 states, or at least in California, have a bonded, $35,000 deposit with DMV. If you choose to use a $35,000 bond to secure the registration for your vehicle, then NO you do not have personal and vehicle damage liability insurance. But then, you probably shouldn't sign the waiver. You SHOULD go home.
You would be 100% wrong if you simply "assume" that your auto policy covers you for a track event. Every state is different. If your policy is from NC, your maximum liability coverage is $30k per personal injury, $60k per accident for such an event. Irregardless of the fact that the policy itself has $500k liability coverage and you have a $5M umbrella policy -- that is all rendered useless by the language of the policy. Also realize that the way the policy (all policies in NC, like many states, are regulated and identical) is written, the simple act of incurring a liability event in the paddock is also covered only at the lower level.

For the record, as I stated earlier in this thread, yes I and both my kids have done events at the PC, I took delivery of my E39 there and did the track event, the three of us have also done the M-club day school twice, and additionally I've done six CCA autocross events at the PC (winning overall FTD each time, 3 in the M5 years ago, and 3 in the M3 recently). I've been autocrossing for over 40 years, and doing track events and time trials since 1981, instructing since 1985.

I've assumed the risks for over 40 years of participating in competitive events and track events. Such events haven't "screened me out" yet, but they're getting close.

None of the above matters with regard to the law and liability coverage. No matter how much one poster in this thread wants to express an emotional tirade and personally attack people, it will have no bearing on what people should understand their legal responsibilities to be when signing a waiver and participating (without or with very limited insurance coverage) at an event.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8

Last edited by CSBM5; 06-22-2016 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 5