View Single Post
      08-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
I think you would end up with a very large case of platform with to much power.
Basically like driving an 80's f1 car on streets.
Watch the video. He thinks the R has more chassis/brakes than the M235i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
I like CH but again he doesn't mention the fact that VW doesn't allow you disable ESP in the US. Thank the attorneys.

For that reason alone BMW gets the nod. It's bad enough the gubmint mandates all these nannies, but to hell with any vehicle that prohibits me from turning it all off for track days.
Traction control is fully defeatable on the Mk7 Golf R. How do think he makes the car go nice and sideways in the vid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
That seems counterintuitive. Is that snap oversteer issue I've read about (the one that reportedly prompted ESP locked on) any less likely on the R? I doubt it.
You need to read up on the Mk7 GTI and R. It is an entirely different chassis which is very well balanced.

This is a very interesting comparison, and one that may not make sense to some people. His bottom line in the review is that the Golf R is the better car but he prefers the M235i due to 6 cylinder and RWD, that's it. You choose one of these cars over the other because either you want a RWD 6 cyl coupe that can get a little hairy at times, or you want an AWD hatch that is better sorted out. They are otherwise equal and you can't really say one is better than the other unless you insert your personal needs into the equation... until you look at price which is >$10k different when you consider LSD in the 235i.
Appreciate 0