View Single Post
      02-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #104
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
This is a very interesting discussion, and far be it for me to try to refute anything Sportstick says. BUT it seems to me that there would be a scenario, using the 4x4 on the hill example, where that vehicle, on 4 winter tires, wouldn't be able to make it up the hill in 2WD, but WOULD when switched into 4WD mode. Thus clearly, the xDrive DOES make a difference in some situations, no? What am I missing? Thanks.
You understand it perfectly. 4WD does do something. It sends power to two more tires so they can make use of their ability to gain traction. The earlier issue had been a wrong statement that the 4WD system adds traction, when there is an intervening factor which actually adds the traction....the tires! There is no traction to the ground generated in the differentials and axles which comprise the 4WD components. The descriptive of 4WD creating "potential traction" works well, which becomes "kinetic traction" once the tires start turning and not slipping.

It would be like telling a pilot that the hydraulic actuators add lift. No, the hydraulic actuators activate flaps and slats and they provide the lift. Hydraulic actuators in the absence of flaps and slats are useless. Think of 4WD as the hydraulic actuators and flaps and slats as the tires.

Last edited by Sportstick; 02-13-2015 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Edited to add analogy
Appreciate 0