View Single Post
      02-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #93
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
With respect, these RWD vs AWD discussions ALWAYS end up talking about winter driving and a few people, me included, are really, really tired of it. AWD has it's benefits in normal weather which includes driving in the wet.

This ridiculous debate needs to end. Those with M235's in AWD format are just as enthusiastic about the performance of their cars (rightfully so, it's a blast) as those with the RWD version. Not everyone who bought the xDrive version of the M235 lives in permanent winter conditions, some of them don't see snow at all. So please, no more automatic "default to winter tire discussions" for this car, it's getting very lame IMHO.
^ + 1

Most of the discussions on RWD vs AWD focus on one being the correct choice and the other being unacceptable. I prefer to look at this as whether AWD is a viable alternative to RWD.

I can understand where some do not consider AWD a viable choice for the 3 / 4 series since the xDrive cannot be had with a sport suspension. But for the M235i, given both AWD and RWD have the same sport suspension and can be had with the same wheels and tires, I think the answer is yes.

To me, AWD is analogous to the Automatic Transmission- both are evolving. The 8 speed Sport AT in a BMW is to the point that it offers slightly better performance than a conventional MT, but driver interaction is different. Some prefer the interaction of a conventional MT so either one is a valid choice depending on personal preference.

Bruce