View Single Post
      04-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #33
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
There's a lot that can be achieved with adjustable sway bars and alignment considerations. AWD cars behave differently, but are no less fun when driven hard. Braking characteristics, turn in, and throttle management are very different from RWD but still keep things interesting.
100% Agree. Tire choice and pressure will also play a big part in handling feel.
It's a "relatively" easy way to upgrade perceived handling deficiencies of the AWD. The stock Pirelli RFT's are certainly an improvement over the horrid RFTs of the 3 series E90 generation, but are still a Jack-of-all-trades, Master-of-none solution in terms of performance.

I say "perceived handling deficiencies" because I believe that these are quite capable cars regardless of their transmission or drive configuration. Most of us will never approach their limits in daily driving, even spiritedly.

I definitely grant the RWD config. an advantage in terms of "steering feel" at lower speed autocross style driving. At these speeds the AWD is definitely muted. Not terrible mind you, but not noteworthy. I've learned to appreciate and love the feel of the AWD, especially at higher speeds. Maybe it's my perception, but I can definitely feel the front wheels pull through turns when accelerating. What fun! The above 60mph performance of this car is outrageous, and the AWD keeps those B58 ponies in line for a mere mortal like me.