View Single Post
      08-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #155
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
This article demonstrates how BMW's move toward turbos allows tuners to easily match performance of higher priced models.

The M2 with a tune will be the car to beat.
True. An M2 with a tune will likely out gun a stock M4.
But then, an M4 can be tuned too.

Throw enough money at most cars and they can match or better many higher priced cars that have already done the work for you and give you a warranty to go along with that higher level of performance.

Tune the M2 and it'll be faster. Tune the M4 and then that tuned M2 will need more tuning and more parts, like a larger turbo, better flowing exhaust, and then there's the suspension........

Then there's the whole other thing that gets missed, the M4 is a BMW.
With that, BMW doesn't just set out to make a fast, great handling sport coupe. It sets out to make a fast, great handling sport coupe along with the luxury level of the base model.
That interior costs money. The whole cost doesn't just go into the go fast bits. Then there is the sweet looking body and that costs more too.

Sure, you can get an M235i to go as fast as the M4 if you throw money at it.
You can probably get it to handle as well and even better if you throw more money at it. You can make it look nicer inside and outside if you throw more money at it. In the end you have a quite expensive customized car, nothing wrong with that for those who want something personal and unique.
Or, you can get an M4 that already has those things done for you, and it will have a very nice warranty along with really good resale value.
The highly customized M235i not so much.

It's awesome that the M235i is so highly praised in comparison to the M4.
If I go with the M235i next time around I'll be very happy.
But it gets that praise for the performance to dollar value, not because it's the better car.
M3/M4 buyers don't just buy the performance they want a BMW with high performance and one that looks as good as it does inside and out.
Appreciate 0