View Single Post
      02-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #46
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Just another point, 65% of Porsche sales in the US are SUV's and their sports cars declined in sales in the US in 2016. They don't compete with BMW in cars so I don't know why a Porsche sales guy would have input about BMW prices. Anybody and everybody knows most luxury brands subsidize certain products, GM would be out of business if it didn't sell trucks because they basically lose money on cars.

If you look up retained value actually the Mustang has about the highest retained value of sports cars. They sell a lot and they are popular so people are always looking to buy a used one, a 128 not so much. Car retained values have dropped because the recession meant there was a low supply up until the last 2-3 years and everyone is buying SUV's and trucks now and not cars. BMW was late to the party because they maxed out capacity at the plant in South Carolina and they were just pushing 3 series long after people wanted X3's or the new X1.

Bad news is the M235 isn't going to hold value like a Mustang. Cars are depreciating assets and if you want to lose less you have to buy a cheaper sports car. Its a lot bigger market for a $10K used Mustang than a $35K M235.

Could always be worse, I bet your turbo customers are a sad group at trade in time. M235i for driving off the lot. I heard Porsche stopped residulizing some options, is that true?
Appreciate 0