12-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by csg View Post
A few comments from someone who has owned a few lowered cars in urban areas (read: Boston, New York City, Rochester NY, Dayton OH, Denver, CO).

Bottom line: You shouldn't get rid of your car because the roads are bad, you should change the way you drive it. If you don't like driving it this way, then I guess you might want to consider something a little more compliant, or taller tires and smaller wheels. If you're on run-flats, that's your first step either way, get rid of them!

I've seen quite a few bad roads in the ~10 lowered cars I've owned in these areas but have learned that no matter the kind of road, it's incumbent on me, the driver, to look after my car and drive cautiously to avoid potholes, large gaps and other obstacles. Do I swerve into other lanes to avoid them? Absolutely not! I do, however, use the skills I've picked up at HPDEs to use "high eyes" to scan the road ahead of me to see in advance where the potholes are and safely maneuver around them (be it a lane change or just adjusting my line). I've picked out 2 routes between my home and work place that I've all-but memorized (20 minutes, 11 miles) and I know where the big bumps are and how I can avoid them. As for new routes, I am constantly moving my focus to increase my situational awareness of cars around me, pedestrians and obstacles (potholes, sunken and raised manhole covers, construction, etc.) and ensure that I avoid as much of it as safely possible. I've found that this is more or less a "tax" of owning a sports/lowered car. In the end, it adds to the engagement I seek in my daily commute and I rather enjoy the drive, I find that I'm much more connected to the environment around me.

Just my $0.02!
I already do everything you say, and have been doing so since I had my E46 when i was 16 many years ago, which was also very low, and also had 18 inch style 71 wheels with low pros (man, it was a sexy car back in it's time). However, at the same time, I'm going to be commuting 1 hour each way, 20 miles one way, through urban/suburban areas. Some of which are highways. Which can fall apart any day (potholes can randomly pop up at anytime). Also, driving slowly in a bad part of philly, avoiding potholes and driving slowly is a great way to attract negative attention and experience road rage.

Owning a sporty BMW is all fun and games when you have a commute that's fairly consistent, and you have time/low enough stress levels to enjoy your car. But when you're in class for 9 hours a day (8 to 5) and have exams every friday, I can imagine that i'll have to put my car enthusiasm asaide for a year or two, and losing valuable study time sitting at the tire place or waiting for a tow truck isn't exactly how I want to spend my afternoons in graduate/professional school. I think i'm going to keep the car and hopefully find a route that's easy on the car, but worst comes to worst, I'll have to get rid of it. Most likely i'll throw on a set of soft all-seasons and enjoy the car for the next few years . Hell, if I don't mind the commute, maybe i'll get the M240i like I plan to.