View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #115
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I'm more excited about a 5 series with a significant weight reduction; the whole luxury package in a car that drives like a 3 series!!
At the moment the 5 series drives like a train wagon; it's just too heavy.

BMW also hoped it would scale down sooner, the investment in that carbon fiber producer is not going anywhere. this and long tech cycles in Auto-motive industry don't make me hope before that 20 years.

Actually I was thinking about how great organic compound based doors would be! Imagine, repairing themselves from scratches! Hmm, how about an complex organic molecular structure (let us say pseudo aromatic) that chelates metallic ions!!!
Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking about things holistically. The other problem is that I think most drivers, BMW's bread and butter, the people that don't care about car performance like we do, like the direction BMW is going with the size of their cars.

Good god, BMW's cars are so large. I have to add that I usually see women driving the 7 series and, I have no idea why they like it so much.

Organic compounds, eh? A nice aromia would be sweet (hehe) but, why chelation? You'll just end up with metal road dust in your map pocket.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could pick up some rather precious metals that way. Catalytic converter theft would be a thing of the past, haha.
Appreciate 0