12-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #80
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Thoughts about the 911 GTS ? Porsche seems to (try to) 'pigeon hole' it as the daily driver GT3.
The GTS is a "hot" version of a regular Carrera. And the regular Carrera is the better car for 'most' drivers- more comfortable and practical than a GT3 and more than quick enough. For a pure US street car all new 911s are arguably on the fast side to really be able to get stuck in and enjoy on a back-road, so in that roll the value of the GT3's extra poke is questionable.

If you're not 'most drivers', on the other hand, the GT3 is a far more special machine than the Carrera. Fully redone suspension including new uprights, geometry, rear wheel steering which gives it unmatched agility and stability, bespoke tires tuned for the car, ballistic powerband with a soundtrack to match, etc. On the track or the autocross the GT3 is on another level.

The GT3 as an experience is a whole different beast, and the market treats it as such. Carrera S depreciation has been over 2x the GT3s, and this was true even before the GT3 stopped coming in a manual.

On the other hand the GTS offers a combo of practicality, speed an comfort that many drivers are looking for, but at a very high cost of ownership. It may be remembered as one of the last great manual 911s, but it will likely always play second fiddle to the 997 GT3 or the 50th anniversary edition. If you're looking for a GT car and are OK with the cost of ownership (likely far higher than a GT3) it's one of the best around. Personally, however, I find GT cars never inspire me as much as sports cars, and the GTS lacks enough of the GT3's DNA to get my heart racing as I'd use the car.

Porsche doesn't make a bad car, the issue is finding the one that best matches how you'll use it. Porsche prices its cars as if faster is better, but the truth is that for most of us it's not. It would take a very specific customer for the GTS to be their ideal match.