View Single Post
      03-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_M235i View Post
I’ve had my M235 for a couple months now and I have been noticing a high pitched whistle/rattle during hard acceleration. It’s not normal turbo sounds but almost like an intake leak or something. It sounds like it’s originating from the driver side and I cannot hear it during normal acceleration.

Question is is the whistle/rattle normal? If it’s not has anyone had it diagnosed and repaired?
Do you have the M Performance exhaust? I've got it and the rest of my car is stock. The MPE can make a pretty loud high pitch whistle under hard acceleration, especially in more humid temps. It's the sound of the wastegate managing boost and the air going supersonic around the wastegate.

I have the stock intake and occasionally can hear a fairly pronounced intake whistle under certain acceleration. No rattles though. I've got the Torque app and can monitor boost. Nothing wonky is going on. It shows expected boost of 9 to 11 psi depending on gear, density altitude, load, rpm, etc.