View Single Post
      09-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #66
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldunwoody View Post
I didn’t mean to start a conversation about which tires are best or how best to drive. All I know is I wished I’d done a trial run at high speed before I set off on a lengthy trip, so I thought a “heads up” might be appreciated. I never had trouble once I had run flats back on the car and the tire dealer agreed it was a problem with the tires, not inflation or driver error. I don’t know what I have on 240 - whatever came from the dealer �� Obviously I don’t know all that much about cars, or tires, just that I like to drive fun cars.
When you stated "we heard afterwards that it was a problem with using standard tires on a car designed for run flat", the person who made that statement didn't know what they were talking about. BMW sells the same cars with run-flat and non run-flat tyres on the same wheels sizes with the same tyre sizes and without any other suspension changes. The E82 135i when it was sold outside North America and the 2-series around the world and many other BMWs have both tyre options (SUVs being more limited in this respect).

A bad tyre could cause pull that you may have experienced, but it wouldn't be due to run-flat vs non run-flat. Tramlining as a characteristic can happen with any wide low profile tyre, irrespective of it's design. I expect the tyre dealer was happy to sell a set of tyres as opposed to getting to the root of the problem.

It is just false information that the current cars are designed or engineered specifically for run flats.

I'm glad you don't have the problem now, but if you want the best performance out of any sports car in the future, run flats and/or all-season tyres will be inferior to pure non run-flat summer tyres for non-winter use.
Appreciate 0