09-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #65
keldunwoody
2017 red m240 convertible
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240 red convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Standard tyres are a factory option on the same cars that have run flats on too, there are no other changes other than the tyres. Low profile wide tyres with a flatter tread and stiffer sidewall are more likely to tramline compared with whether the tyre is run flat or not, a high performance summer tyre will likely tramline more than an all-season.

A death grip on the wheel and incorrect tyre pressure will cause the car to move around more, as you are constantly correcting out of phase with the tyre movement. A relaxed grip allowing the tyres to move a little without over correction tends to let the car track straighter, you just tend to feel the steering weight continually changing and telegraphing the road irregularities, as opposed to continually over correcting to the feedback.

I didn’t mean to start a conversation about which tires are best or how best to drive. All I know is I wished I’d done a trial run at high speed before I set off on a lengthy trip, so I thought a “heads up” might be appreciated. I never had trouble once I had run flats back on the car and the tire dealer agreed it was a problem with the tires, not inflation or driver error. I don’t know what I have on 240 - whatever came from the dealer 😃 Obviously I don’t know all that much about cars, or tires, just that I like to drive fun cars.
Appreciate 0