View Single Post
      09-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #168
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by softestplease View Post
Do you need to use phone data services (3G/4G) for the map, or the map can be downloaded onto the phone to be used offline?
You got to preload the Garmin maps on your smartphone (most likely at home or in your office). Maps are free of charge. Just select the maps you really need, otherwise the download on your smartphone may take quite some time and deplete available memory. But once stored, you're good to go.

Inside your car, your mobile works as a GPS, using the combination of the maps on your phone + the GPS location function of your smartphone. You are also allowed to use the maps when not near/inside your car. Though you got to connect to the Head Up Screen inside the car at least once a month (if my memory serves me correctly). Failure to do so = you got to reinstall Garmin software on your smartphone.

The Head Up Screen connects via integrated WLAN (wifi network) automatically with your smartphone. Downside: no incoming e-mails, Whatsapp messages, BBM, etc. as long as you're connected to the Head Up Screen (but you still got the phone connection of course). If you just briefly switch off wifi, messages start to enter. If you need navigation again, reconnect to the Head Up Screen wifi network.

To avoid draining the smartphone battery, connect your mobile to the USB port or 12V socket under the centre armrest.

If for some unknown reason the system stalls or your smartphone fails to connect to the device, use a toothpick or staple to push the reset button on the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softestplease View Post
Is it possible to use other Map other than Garmin (like Sygic, Co-pilot, etc)
The app that you need to install on your smartphone = BMW + Garmin.

Hence, I doubt that it would work with other map providers.