View Single Post
      02-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #110
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI View Post
Since BMW have no intention to offer additional vans than Active Tourer and its LWB version: the Gran Tourer, there would be illogical to start a new series (eg. F-series, V-series, E-series etc).

Therefore only two alternatives were possible: to put 1er or 2er badge on the Active Tourer / Gran Tourer.

BMW opted for 2er badge - officially due to Active Tourer / Gran Tourer is larger and more expensive than 1er, and the nomenclature oozes that.

But the real reason is: BMW are making space for the sub-1er series.

Currently the 2er Coupe & 2er Active Tourer are badged as 2er - soon be followed by 2er Convertible & 2er Gran Tourer (= LWB version of Active Tourer).

The next generation of 1er will also be based on FWD platform (named "UKL"), and will also come with additional versions beside 3dr & 5dr hatch ... and it will be rebadged to 2-series!

So, the 1er badge will be available for a smaller BMW-badged MINI-sized car - a direct rival to Audi A1.

This also indicates that in the future X1 (most likely the Mk3 X1) will be rebadged to X2. Possible 3dr SAC version of a small BMW SAV will be marketed under the "xCoupe" trademark. X4 & X6 & possible X8 will retain the even nomenclature for the SAC versions of the X3 / X5 / X7 SAVs.

Regarding RWD platform: everything from 3-series & up (incl the midsized & full-sized SAV & SAC models) will be based on the new highly modular multi-material RWD platform. Only the RR Phantom family will feature dedicated all-aluminum platform & body frame.

Everything under 3er will be based on FWD UKL platform in the future (1er, 2er, X1 etc) - including all the MINI models (possible sub-MINI model - based on Rocketman Concept - will be based on a shrunken UKL0 platform but BMW seeks a partner for this particular project).

All the platforms are AWD compatible & plug-in hybrid compatible. So, there will be technically possible every MINI & BMW model can get an AWD or plug-in hybrid version in the future.

Not to mention the modular platforms will be extremely profitable - especially combined with modular engine platforms.

Right now BMW Group has plans to put (at least) 15 models on "UKL" FWD platform, and (at least) 30 models on "35up" RWD platform.
Wow, OK this makes clear sense now. So it confirms the next 2-Series will be FWD indeed. I thought everything below the 2-Series would be FWD.

So, in essence BMW will only work with two (modular) platforms in the future. One FWD and one RWD. I'm not sure a shared platform between a 3-Series and an 8-Series can work without compromises. And I'm curious to see how many variations the next generation FWD 2-Series will spawn. 3-door hatchback, 5-door hatchback, coupe, convertible, possible sedan and/or Gran Coupe, Active Tourer, Gran Tourer, some kind of X vehicle, etc.

I'm all for new BMW vehicles, even niche ones I just like the odd/even nomenclature. Obviously lots of space is needed below the 2-Series for that many UKL vehicles coming so it does make sense.
Appreciate 0