View Single Post
      07-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #121
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
OMG....what did man ever do without our betters in big government telling us what to do?

The gun safety comparison is just plain retarded....let me guess....you live in a big city.

....the only effective safety is the tool user.

Rinse and repeat for ALL of your choices in life from food to toys for your kids.

The intelligent question/answer isnt what % of overall sales are MT.....rather....what % of sales of cars they are OFFERED in.

As indicated previously the MT in GTI comprises ~50% of all GTI sales

TDI's have ALWAYS been MT heavy on sales

Mini coopers rinse and repeat the above

Porsche has reversed course and started offering MT's on models they had removed the option from

Subaru sells a ton of MT's

WHY do people buy MT's?

Simplicity
Reliability
Lower cost to own especially if you keep a car past 100k
More fun....
Live where there is a lot of snow....automatics SUCK
Any number of reasons.....

Why do people choose an automatic?

Elderly
Injured
Lots of stop/go traffic/live in a city
New to driving (one less thing to deal with)
Family car that sees a bunch of different drivers
Corp/fleet vehicle

There's simply no argueing that Government regulation and subsequent cost to certify vehicles before they are ALLOWED to be sold is driving up cost MASSIVELY as well as forcing standardization and removing options

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...ive-sector.asp

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ts-drive-cook/

http://www.heritage.org/government-r...ase-car-prices

The one size fits all model doesnt fit anyone.....
Perhaps there is just no "arguing" with you.

No one here is arguing that regulations have no impact on the cost of vehicles.
You are lumping various issues of fact into your own woven belief of some grand conspiracy for the reason as to why the vast majority of car consumers don't want MT's.

I suppose the reason why a lot of households have dish washing machines is because of some government regulations that are secretly depriving households of the ability to handwash their pots, pans, and dishes? LOL!
C'mon already. The market offers technology and other items to consumers and the consumers then decide if they want it or not.
My mother would NEVER use a dish washing machine, but there sure are a lot of consumers who do, and thus plenty of variations to choose from.

Yes, many of us know and love MT's, like you.
However, jumping to a belief in some governmental attempt to stop your fun is beyond the pale.
Simply accept that for certain automobiles there are not enough MT takers for some manufacturers to want to continue to offer them.
No need to call your congress-person or senator and demand an investigation or legislation to "save the manuals!"

Last edited by RPM90; 07-11-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4732.00
Viffermike1753.00