bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
With all due respect Scott, BMW is not immune from the laws of physics.

There is only so much that can be done with 2 liters and 4 cylinders. I don't believe in magic. You may be able to produce the power, but you will never produce the drivability, throttle response nor will you ever overcome the hideous turbo lag of said tiny 2 liter engine. Let's not even talk sound ...
I've been blowing the horn on the turbo lag issue in the CLA as much as anyone. I've even used the "laws of physics" argument myself. Having said that, I'm not writing the I4 M2 off just yet. Given the feedback from SCOTT26 in this thread and in others, I think there's a chance BMW might really show some bravery and keep HP numbers sane for the displacement of the engine. If HP is between 300 and 330, I think they could build an engine that responds well. We don't have third party reviews yet, but word from BMW factory drivers is that the S55 doesn't feel like a turbo engine, and that's an engine that was taken from 300 to over 400 HP.

We don't know what BMW has up their sleeve yet, but we do know they've been investing heavily in turbocharger development. Have a look at the 1.5L I3 in the i8.

I'm concerned about the choice to go I4 in the M2. When I first heard it, my head just about popped. I thought there was no way BMW could sell the M2 with an I4 when the M235i has the turbo I6, but now I'm not sure. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I'm not cutting them any slack on it though. If the character of the engine sucks, I'll take my money elsewhere.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0