View Single Post
      08-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Navi

My 135i convertible has Navigation. I don't use it and instead use my iphone, here's why:

1. I live in a populated suburb of Dallas and the map data that came with my car is outdated and inaccurate. The update from BMW is expensive and would be outdated the day I installed it

2. The interface with the map program is much less effective than the interface with my iPhone. I use GPS Drive and like most of these applications, I can speak or type any search and get directions, phone number, etc.. A new restaurant, for example, would require an iPhone search first anyway and then an address entry in the BMW Nav screen and would only be approximate, since the address did not exist when the data was programmed.

3. Bluetooth streaming is cumbersome, especially when switched on and off. I have streamed the directions from my iPhone through the BMW sound system but then I couldn't listen to the stereo at the same time. Music via Bluetooth is lower quality

4. The Navi screen does look better, but you have to be willing to pay for that look every month. I've found with my 135i CV that I am engaged with other things in the car like the DCT and the Harmon Kardon and am not focused on the screen. So, you could save the money or get another feature that you like. I ordered the M235i Xdrive (I think the traction/speed will be a blast) with cold weather, rearview camera, Harmon Kardon, and summer tires and passed on the Nav.
Appreciate 0