View Single Post
      04-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
A couple of questions for the members, please, as I've not dealt with run flats before:

1) Everyone skipping out on RFTs, are you just playing the odds that you won't be stuck with a flat somewhere? Do you carry a minispare loosely in your trunk?

2) For the PSS fans, do you all live in places where it's above 40 F long enough throughout the year to make it worthwhile? When the temp gets in the 40's, it's certainly time to give up summer tires! I always run all-seasons so I can use them for most of the year until winter (Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ or now AS3).

Thanks!
1. Yes, playing the odds. Either rely on roadside assistance or have some fix-a-flat for your usual flats. Sidewall puncture and you're just plain screwed. I carry fix-a-flat and an air compressor in the car. Other than that it's a gamble.

2) I have about 9 good months a year. The other three are crap. I have run PSS the past 3 winters on my E90. It was not a smart decision, but it's not as bad as they make it seem where if the temperature is low, you're screwed. I have driven in under 10 degree weather consistently this winter with PSS and been just fine. Now, if there is even a dusting of snow on the ground, you're worthless. Ice and you're worthless too. For those days, it was on to public transportation for me.

Supposedly the newest generation of runflats are not bad at all and are way improved over the older ones that everyone hates. For me the complaint was the harshness of the ride on Bridgestone runflats but on the Michelins that was greatly improved, even with Michelin runflats. All seasons aren't a bad thing at all and are probably worth giving a shot again if they're on your car before dismissing them entirely. I'm pretty sure most people here who are dismissing those all season runflats haven't even tried them on the 2 series yet (including myself), so they may be just fine.

Last edited by five3three; 04-11-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0