08-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
Have any of you made the switch from the e90 335i to the 228i? If so, what are your impressions? I could see myself making the switch to a 228i with MT. It's a beautiful car!
Man you missed me gushing over the 335i M-Sport 6MT on the 3 series thread. I think the e46ZHP and 335i M-Sport 6 mt are about as good as BMW sedan as ever made and I wouldn't let go of it. The steering is nice, the sound is nice, the shifter is nice and if you have the fixed M-Sport suspension a great balance of performance and comfort. I think you are asking because I think you know what you would miss. Only you can decide. Drive it. The M235i, while being nice looking weighs about the same your sedan and it has active sound, you give up some feel on the steering and a temp gauge in your dash. The 228 is surprisingly fun but again, I think a step down.

If you're 335i is automatic, then no brainer, swap it but if you are lucky to have the 6mt m-sport, I would keep it pay it off then in a few years buy a 235i for autocrossing or sundays. There are a lot of M-Sport parts you can add to your car too. You can add the limited slip diff I believe and they sell a performance kit with extra radiator that takes you 320 hp too, from BMW.

If the M235i or 228 was significantly lighter, sportier, etc then maybe but you will be giving up the "best of breed" in my opinion. If it's the 6mt you have one of the best BMW sedans ever made and you would be trading it in for a nice sport coupe that as cool as it is, it's not best of breed yet!

Finally, if you just have to have something new or enjoy the digitized environment. What color is your 335i and is it 6mt? If it doesn't have NAV there are some people looking for 2011 cars like yours.

Good luck.

Last edited by nachob; 08-20-2014 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0