06-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
I've been spending a lot of time with the Configurator on BMW's website, but I'm having trouble making up my mind on a couple of the options. I was hoping maybe you guys could help sway me one way or the other.

Dynamic handling package or not?
  • I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension depending on my mood, but the M Sport suspension may already be the ideal compromise between handling and ride. I generally like the ride on my sport packaged E90 328i, but there are certain roads where it can feel a little harsh. I've never questioned the handling.
  • The variable sport steering is probably something I'd get used to and end up liking, but I'm not sure I'd ever miss it if I didn't have it. I definitely didn't regret not getting it on my E90 328i.
Do you plan to keep the car out of warranty? The adaptive suspension will be pretty expensive for what normally would be new shocks. I very rarely see people change the suspension settings, they tend to either stay in sport mode or comfort mode all the time. These days of course other things change with the setting so it isn't easy to tell.

The variable sport steering I used in a 4-series wasn't good IMHO. I didn't drive the same car without.

I suppose for the variable steering there might be more software updates in the future, more potential for improvements. It is becoming standard on some models.

Quote:
M Sport Brakes or not?
  • If I have to make an emergency stop on the freeway, will these brakes bring me to a stop faster, or is the benefit mostly fade resistance after multiple hard stops?
  • Is the pedal feel significantly firmer with these brakes?
Some magazine must have tested that. Haven't seen it, though. Magazines, especially U.S. ones, don't like to point it out when expensive options do nothing at all to most drivers.

Quote:
Technology Package or not?
  • Compared with a good smart phone, most in-car systems I've seen just aren't as good. BMW's may be good enough, but I'm just not sure.
  • The definite plus of an in-car system is that you don't have to suction-cup your phone to the dash or windshield.
  • The definite minus is $2,150.
Nah, no way. Smartphone navigation improves at such a rapid pace, your $2150 fixed system will feel old in no time.

Quote:

M Sport vs. Sport Line?

I definitely want sport seats, so I need to get one of these lines. If I do decide to get the M Sport Brakes, I have to get M Sport. But if not, I'm kind of torn.
  • I actually like the Sport Line's wheels and red interior accent stripe a little better than what you get with the M Sport, but I really prefer the steering wheel you get with the M Sport.
  • I don't think fog lights are a big deal, but I'm kind of annoyed that you pay $700 extra to lose them.
  • The M Sport's aggressive front clip looks nice, but from the photos, it looks like it has these little black flaps in the corners that are just begging to get scraped.
  • From the back, it's a toss up for me, with the Sport Line looking more subtle, and the M Sport looking more racy.
  • The black mirror caps on the Sport Line are questionable, but they look like they may be less vulnerable to chips and scratches.
  • I guess I have to decide whether the sportier steering wheel is worth $700 to me.
Are you sure you like the M steering wheel better? I know the non-M is ugly as the seven sins but I find the knobs to be a lot more workable and the actual feel isn't that much improved with the M.
Appreciate 0