Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (ZCP M-DCT) on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
It's a bad argument.
Sure people will buy a smaller BMW sedan than the 3 series. But without it, they'll buy more CLA's and A3 sedans.

Why is BMW so dead set on driving away young potential lifelong customers?

Mercedes will continue to outpace BMW with these types of positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Bmw made all these useless models and now says a compact sedan is not needed here when everybody is waiting for a compact sedan....wtf are you smoking
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
The fact that the current 3 series is actually larger inside than an E39 5 series is a clear indicator that the 3 series has completely moved up to a different market segment. Rather than bring in a small car to take up this gap... instead.. they will continue to lose the overall sales crown to Mercedes in the US because Mercedes has

- realized a small car is needed
- dropped to a price point below 30K for an entry level luxury sedan

Thousands of E36 fans are simply going to continue to be alienated if this is actually true. What is AMAZING is that Mr. Diess ACKNOWLEDGES that the take rate of a 2 series sedan would be high. That, my friends is ignorance in action.

Hopefully the rest of the board doesn't have the same short sightedness that Mr. Diess is afflicted with.
Amen to all that. A disappointing and indeed outrageous announcement for everyone waiting and hoping for a smaller RWD sedan. If BMW thinks everyone waiting and hoping is just settling for (i.e. buying) a 3-series (4-door) or a 1/2-series (2-door) in the meantime, they are mistaken. They are not buying! Or considering a small sedan from a German competitor. I know I've been unhappily considering. So these statements makes me sad and angry.

From Mr. Diess statements I infer they believe a small sedan would sell, but not be profitable. I suspect this is because the 2-series is a modified 3-series platform, nearly as expensive and heavy as the 3 even though it is smaller inside and out. And since it would have to be sold at a lower price, I guess not profitable? Well BMW needs to make another smaller lighter RWD platform. Then we could see a car of the size and weight or the E36 (or even E30?) again. But I won't hold my breath that we'll see another platform any time soon (in the next 5 years).

So okay, it is unrealistic to hope for a smaller/lighter RWD BMW sedan. But BMW, there is a flip side to that coin. Know it is also unrealistic to get all your customers back without one.

Last edited by mdss6; 01-30-2014 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0