Thread: 2 series sales
View Single Post
      05-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #61
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

The arguments during the past 15 posts or so just make me laugh and shake my head.

To understand BMW today, you must think globally. Globally. Not just in the U.S., not just in the EU. etc. BMW has a much different perception as a brand in the U.S. than it does in the EU, and the EU has a much different perception as a brand than it does in, say, South Africa.

Thing is, BMW must develop vehicle models that are a viable in as many of these markets as possible to maximize potential sales and profit. So when it develops a model, it outfits it differently depending on the market to best target that market's potential for the model.

This is why EU 2 Series and 3 Series are significantly downscale in standard equipment compared to the U.S. This is also why the EU gets many more choices with what are perceived in the U.S. as 'downscale' options: cloth or faux leather interior colors, for instance.

Why? The average EU buyer of one of these cars couldn't care less if it has leather seating. The average U.S. buyer does. That, friends, is a bottom-line example of what I'm talking about.

That said, each model has 'niche' sub-markets. Driving enthusiasts are a significant portion of the 2 Series' submarket. BMW knew this going in. That's why 2 Series cars got the Track Handling Package (or somesuch) right off the bat as a major option. That's also why a manual has always been an option.

But here's another thing: the submarket in the EU as it relates to the manual is significantly different than in the U.S. More manuals are sold in the EU because of the perception that they are more efficient, and the fact that far more EU consumers know how to operate a manual than U.S. consumers. In the EU, a manual is standard for this reason.

BMW knows very well that a certain amount of U.S. buyers appreciate that the 2 Series is available with a manual, without power seats, etc. As long as that 'certain amount' makes business sense, BMW will continue to present the 2 Series as a car for that kind of driver. Similarly, a certain amount of U.S. buyers see the 2 Series as the 'entry-level' BMW, and anything 'entry level' will not be outfitted like a 7 Series, no matter what the market is.

However, the majority of U.S. consumers of the 2 Series aren't either of those types. That's why most non-custom-order 2 Series in the U.S. have the Premium Package. It is what the core U.S. market for the car expects. It is not what the EU core market for the car expects.
Appreciate 2