View Single Post
      02-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #32
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
As for the wild-trade-in-value discussion: I think some of us are not considering all of the factors regarding the OP's car. The two biggest:
- It's an MT. Think about it: 3 percent of new cars sold in the U.S. last year were MTs. Three percent. That makes the potential market very, very small, particularly in New England where the OP lives. Which brings me to my other point:
- Location. The poster who got the $34K offer on his 2015 is in Vista, California. Cars such as the 2 Series sell far better there than in the Northeast.

wjones14 : I'd also say that your car not being an X-Drive is a disadvantage in your neck of the woods. Also, the mods you've done may negatively affect the value in the eyes of some. But those effects are nowhere near as great as the effects of the other two, IMHO.
What mods? I haven't done anything to the car other than the stainless pedal covers. I did get some "port-installed" options: MP Exhaust and rear diffuser; MP black kidney grills; and the MP rocker panel decals. Of those, only the decals would probably be considered as a negative, and if they don't like them, they can pull them off.

I like to think that the MT would be desirable for the right person. It's hard to find one on the lot. My '05 Mustang GT was a manual, and the guy who bought it lives in upstate NY and drove 4 hours for the privilege. Less than 5% of 2005 Mustangs were yellow, and when you narrowed it down to the Premium Package GT plus 5-speed, less than 1% fell into this category. It was a rare find for the guy who bought it, hence his willingness to make the long drive (twice).