02-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
Agreed and I am aware of the tax implications. I doubt there could be any kind of linking a sale to CarMax with the dealer to get the tax break. Once I get that CarMax offer I will have to break out a spreadsheet to make sure I know what the best option is. I definitely do not want to deal with the alternatives to not trading in but I am going to try to be prepared for all scenarios. Prepare for the worst hope for the best?
I can verify that such a link is legal in Texas. I was offered just such an offer from CarMax when I was shopping my Lexus to trade for my current 228i. I ended up not doing it, but it is possible.

As for the wild-trade-in-value discussion: I think some of us are not considering all of the factors regarding the OP's car. The two biggest:
- It's an MT. Think about it: 3 percent of new cars sold in the U.S. last year were MTs. Three percent. That makes the potential market very, very small, particularly in New England where the OP lives. Which brings me to my other point:
- Location. The poster who got the $34K offer on his 2015 is in Vista, California. Cars such as the 2 Series sell far better there than in the Northeast.

wjones14 : I'd also say that your car not being an X-Drive is a disadvantage in your neck of the woods. Also, the mods you've done may negatively affect the value in the eyes of some. But those effects are nowhere near as great as the effects of the other two, IMHO.
Appreciate 1
SCCThree816.00