02-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #24
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
SCC, congrats on the new car. It seems since you ordered the car you really won't have any leverage with the dealer on trade in value. He is probably pretty sure you won't walk on the deal after waiting for your exact car. Do you have a plan? (Curious, b/c I'm in the same boat as you )
Thanks! So my plan is get pre-approved financing from my credit union for the full price of the vehicle plus 10% (minus down payment + room for taxes and extended warranty etc whatever) @ 1.99% for 60 months from my credit union. I am going to take my car to CarMax a few days before the 240 arrives and get their baseline number. I am going to check local prices on other 335is' if there are any, print those out and bring them with me.

Before I go, based on web trade in estimates, CarMax and what they are going for locally I will have to come up with the lowest number I am willing to go to and the fair number I want. In TX we only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the cost of the car so I will have to take that into account as well. I will probably start off with my fair number +$1000 and see where it goes.

The reason for getting financing approval for full price is in case I decide to take the CarMax option and just take the car without trade which I do not want to do, just keeping that as a remote option.

One thing that may work in my favor is that the car I ordered is pretty much fully loaded. MSRP is $55,080 which would be the high end maybe most won't be interested in. The car is more expensive because it's an x-drive and this is Dallas again maybe most buyers wont be interested. I ordered the white leather which again most probably won't be interested in as I have rarely seen that interior color on M240s or M235s. I think the dealer would be motivated to move that car as it might sit for a while otherwise. I could be totally wrong. If you look at M240i x-drives on Autotrader nationwide there are about 80 of them out there and most are the same ones I have been looking at for the last 2 months. I have not seen one in TX since I started watching in October.

In the end all I want is a fair number on my trade, I'm not trying to rob the bank here. I will definitely report back in the next 3-4 weeks when it's hopefully all over.

I am open to suggestions on my so called strategy if anyone wants to fire away.

Appreciate 0