View Single Post
      06-13-2023, 09:48 PM   #366
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

G-Loc Initial Review

I just completed my first track weekend on G-Loc brake pads. Overall I am quite happy with them.

I am using the R12 on the front, and R10 on the rear.
Front: GP1609A R12
Back: GP1656 R10

I've previously run PFC08 and Ferodo DS1.11. I was thinking I might want the G-Loc R16 to more closely match those, but I'm glad I didn't. The R12/R10 have a lot of initial bite and torque. More than the PFC08. I think the R16 would be overkill for the narrow-ish 200TW tires I use. The R16 would probably only be appropriate for slicks or really wide DOT tires.

I run a square setup, and the G-Loc recommended R12 front / R10 rear provides a nice bit of brake bias to help keep the rear under control. I never felt the rear squirm like I occasionally did with matching PFC08 front/rear. If you run staggered tires, a matched R12/R12 might work better.

Initial street driving I was amazed by the torque, especially after some bedding in. I was also amazed by the incredible screeching of these pads. They were LOUD. I usually keep my track pads on all summer, but I was seriously considering swapping the OEM streets back on because the noise was worse than any other track pad I've used. I'm really glad that after a day at the track, and a lot of pad transfer to the discs, they've actually gotten quiet. There are still a few squeaks and chirps, but at this point they are quieter than most track pads. I'm going to be really curious how that changes as street driving scrubs the discs.

On the track they were great. Effectively no fade over 3 days, and very little wear. BIR has one killer braking zone, and several other high brake spots, and is not the easiest on pads. The braking force was very easy to control. A quick onset of torque that was linear with pedal pressure, and easy to trail brake. They had a lot more sensitive feel than the PFC08 I've used the last two years. They aren't quite as firm as the DS1.11, but are similar in their feel and control.

I cut nearly two seconds off my personal best lap time this weekend, and I think part of that was the superior trail braking feel I had with the G-Loc over the PFC08 I ran last year. Everything else on the car was the same, including the same tires from last year.

I'm going to Road America in two weeks. That is a tough course for brakes. I'll add another review after that weekend when I see how they do there.
Appreciate 0