12-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #110
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
As I responded to Evan, I will respond to you. There is much more that goes into the creation of a subframe than choosing the material. We are talking about two different cars here, with many variables to tweak, besides the material they are using. BMW most likely did not just change the material, they probably designed a subframe that is of a different geometry, in addition to being of a different material. The combination of the two things is what produced a lighter and stiffer subframe.

As for the M3, that chassis is far superior to the non M 3 series. But, it's because BMW choose to redesign the entire subframe. It's of a different geometry, it's of a different material (IIRC) AND, its because BMW choose to use different bushings and bearings to carry the load. You are so incredibly oversimplifying the car design process by saying that the upcoming M2/M3/M4 have lighter/stiffer/better subframes just because it's made from aluminum.
Wait, that's what I was trying to argue to you...I guess I misread what you wrote. I thought you were trying to say "aluminum will always be less stiff," and my point was that they obviously designed the subframe differently to get around aluminum's inherent softness but it seems that we're on the same page.
Appreciate 0