View Single Post
      09-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The prior example of another vehicle program is not relevant. The way vehicle manufacturers function, the design engineer creates the part, the releasing engineer is responsible for the Bill of Material which defines in minute detail every part which is released to the program. The Product Plan then allocates the parts into models, trim levels, packages, etc, to develop a coherent ordering system, as well as broadcast system for the suppliers to send materials (usually just-in-time and in-sequence) to the assembly plant. The product plan also drives the price file which generates the Monroney label and invoice.

If a part is not released to a program, or via the product plan, is not part of a overall model build configuration, it cannot be broadcast to the supply base and the plant cannot build it. A proper Monroney and invoice, which must match the product, cannot be generated, also preventing the build. If an error occurred with a non-released part being installed, the Quality Audit would pull that unit aside for corrective action.

So, unless an interior engineer for the F22 program releases the cloth trim set to the US build for the desired model, and the Product Planner changes the plan to include that sales code as an option, the unit is not buildable at Leipzig. This involves much more than a "button".

Yes, I worked for a car company (not BMW) for 25 years before retiring.
Ah an engineering answer true to my heart.

Even the "individual" BMW options are just extended options as part of the BOM at a higher cost.

You could join the Army, become an Expat, buy a German spec car and have it shipped state side?

In the spirit of nothing being impossible with the right amount of money:

You could find out what the part number is for the Alcantara seat covers and see if there's any way to get someone state side to order them, or order them internationally and have them shipped. But then you'd also be doing the door panels, rear seats, headrests, and possibly some other parts I'm not thinking of, which seems like a lot of effort and money for going to cloth from leather/Sensatec.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=52&fg=10 - Listed here as Alcantara/Hex but not shown as order able?

Optionally if you prefer the hardcore stickiness of cloth, go and buy a beautiful set of Recaro thrones and some proper harnesses at 1/8th the price and then keep the stock seats pristine for when you go to sell the car later on.