09-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The prior example of another vehicle program is not relevant. The way vehicle manufacturers function, the design engineer creates the part, the releasing engineer is responsible for the Bill of Material which defines in minute detail every part which is released to the program. The Product Plan then allocates the parts into models, trim levels, packages, etc, to develop a coherent ordering system, as well as broadcast system for the suppliers to send materials (usually just-in-time and in-sequence) to the assembly plant. The product plan also drives the price file which generates the Monroney label and invoice.

If a part is not released to a program, or via the product plan, is not part of a overall model build configuration, it cannot be broadcast to the supply base and the plant cannot build it. A proper Monroney and invoice, which must match the product, cannot be generated, also preventing the build. If an error occurred with a non-released part being installed, the Quality Audit would pull that unit aside for corrective action.

So, unless an interior engineer for the F22 program releases the cloth trim set to the US build for the desired model, and the Product Planner changes the plan to include that sales code as an option, the unit is not buildable at Leipzig. This involves much more than a "button".

Yes, I worked for a car company (not BMW) for 25 years before retiring.
so you work for BMW AG or NA? US spec e46 was never available with cloth interior in the US yet my buddy was able to get it, seems relevant to me. And as I mentioned in my comment that was 10 years ago and things might have changed so not promising anything.
Appreciate 0