danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Thanks for the replies. The PSS tires and 18" wheels are a wash because they come with the Sport line whether or not I choose the Track Package. It also comes with "M Sport suspension calibration" but I'm not really sure what that means. Sounds like just a stiffer sport suspension. If that's the case, the adaptive M Sport suspension that comes with the track package may just soften the ride in comfort mode and normal, less aggressive, driving which would be a good thing.
Are you sure the PSS tires come with Sport Line? They certainly didn't in 2014 (I tried).

In any case, I'm totally happy with my car with just Sport Line and no track pack. The ride is much better than in my 2007 328i w/ sport package, despite the bigger wheels and run-flat tires. (My 328i came with run-flat tires, but I replaced them with conventional because I thought they made the car feel like it was wearing clogs.)

The name "track pack" is a bit of hyperbole anyway. How does the adaptive suspension make the car more track worthy? Wouldn't a fixed sport suspension work just as well? The upgraded brakes and PSS tires would certainly help on a track, so there is that, but I still think the package is mostly marketing. If you want all the options in it, it's a good deal, but if you just want the PSS tires, it's not.

If it's at all possible drive a car with the non-adaptive sport suspension, definitely do. I was so surprised by the ride-handling balance right out of the box, I didn't see any value in the adaptive feature. Of course, I don't live in, say, Detroit, so it does depend on how beat up your roads are.

Appreciate 0