View Single Post
      06-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #21
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I could understand if you're trying to skip shift on high rpm shifts, but not at part throttle, low rpms. I've been doing this since I started driving over 25 years ago. I've NEVER had an issue with syncros failing and these are cars that have lived some pretty hard lives. You can feel a resistance in the syncro when trying to do something it doesn't like. If you can't feel that while driving, then you probably should be driving a manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
That article is interesting but describes an extreme use case. If I'm skipping on upshifts, it's to get to a higher gear sooner for a more efficient drive....I'm not redlining, or even close to it. And, it's more likely a 4-6 for cruising, with relatively smaller differences. I agree with a more recent post that you can "feel" if you're asking the synchos to do something they don't "want" to do. A gentle upshift with a skip at moderate engine speeds encounters no resistance. Also been doing this for decades with no problems.
Could be tranny dependent and they did say over long time with much greater wear if done at high RPM. Also published in Service News bulletin by Honda

I do it on occasion but dont have this habit anyway

I guess typical scenario is accelerate through 1-2 maybe 3rd gear and then quickly jump to 6th as you realize you going too fast....I assume thats not good for synchro

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-20-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0