View Single Post
      06-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I won't deny that the ZF, DCT, semi-sequential manuals are faster and are definitely ideal for competitive racing, but IMO, for a street driven car there is not much anything more enjoyable from a driving perspective than rowing you're own gears.

Many automarkers love the automatics because it greatly reduces the chances of operator error that can damage the tranny. They absolutely love having that control or reliability. The automatics are far more expensive to repair and replace and they love that factor has well. For examples, a remanufactured ZF 8AT in the 226/M235 is around $7500-8500 without install. The 6MT in the M235/M2/M3/M4 is ~4,500-5,500 for a remanufactured tranny, new bell housings, new flywheel, and new clutch (not installed). The automakers also love the automatics because it helps with bragging rights in terms of acceleration, Ring lap times, etc. The more they convince the buying public that automatics are the way, the better, in their opinion.

What I really like about the manual is being able to adjust shift firmness, shift speed, skip shift (I routinely do a 1-3-5 shift), etc. It's the "man pedal" and I would have never considered the M235 with the auto. The ZF 8AT is lightening quick on the shifts and looses no boost on the shifts, BUT I've been there and did that for 6 years with a prior car. The novelty of snapping away on paddle shifters around town lost my interest after a year. Faster? Yes. More enjoyable? Only if you're racing for money or lap times. You may disagree and I totally understand.
Appreciate 0