12-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #77
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet987 View Post
No regrets at all in my 2017 230i even with having to wait 1-2 seconds on upshifts for revs to come back down to shift smoothly into the next gear. I just wish there were a way to code out this rev hang on upshifts. Rev-matching on downshifts is very cool though.
My '16 WRX had the same rev hang issue, which I couldn't stand at first after coming out of a 997.1 Carrera S, but I quickly learned how to shift without the rev-hang getting in the way. The trick is to simply shift as you normally would, but then you have to finesse the clutch pedal as you let it out through the rev-hang. In other words, ignore rev hang and slip the clutch a bit to bring RPMs down smoothly through the rev-hang period without getting any head-jerk. Just as fast and smooth once you get used to shifting like this.

Also, rev-hang is a newer phenomenon seen mostly in turbo 4 cylinder cars due to newer emissions regulations. There are more emissions when coming off the throttle suddenly, leaving more unburned fuel to pass through. Rev-hang essentially helps to burn all the fuel when coming off the throttle suddenly at the expensive of slightly trickier (although somehow more satisfying) shifting procedure and slightly higher clutch wear.

Oh yeah, my incoming m240i is MT/RWD. Hell no, I will not regret the decision to go MT on this car!! I'll reserve the 8AT for my next DD replacement in a few years. The m240i is my pleasure-only car, so wouldn't be anything but a MT.