View Single Post
      10-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #15
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22tohru View Post
buy out is just $27k so thats why im more stress thinking on the maintenance part more and not the price to keep her. unfortunately im no expert working on cars myself so im looking to get ext warranty if i decide to keep it
Buy the car, then determine if buying the extended warranty makes sense.

I've never purchased an extended warranty on a car, but based upon what other members here and elsewhere have had to say, I think this may be a useful way to look at them:

1) Insurance – that's what they are; if something goes wrong, the policy is there to protect you financially; and there's no question that BMWs can be expensive to repair, sometimes remarkably so

2) Value – you don't buy an extended warranty expecting to come out ahead in terms of your overall expense; you buy it for the sleep-at-night-factor knowing that you're insured against expensive repairs

There's another factor I think is related to the cost of purchasing or buying-out a leased vehicle plus the cost of maintaining the vehicle during the years of ownership. That factor is resale value. To me, those are the triumvirate of the financial aspects of vehicle ownership for us car people.

Speculating on the subject of F22 resale values in the coming years is a guessing game. However, our cars generally have things to offer that some of the more expensive models don't: lighter weights, more 6-speeds, bang-for-the-buck, coupe bodies, etc. My sense of it is that if what buyers of used cars in the $10-25K range want don't change a lot, our cars will still be worth a decent amount once we've run them up to 75-100K+ miles after 6-8 years of ownership.

As always, my 2¢.
Appreciate 0