View Single Post
      01-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #48
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Yes what I meant was round numbers M2 60k vs M240 50K + Dinan 10k are equal today. When you sell in 3 years M2 is worth 35k, M240 is worth 25K, Dinan is worth basically 0.

So M2 costs 25K to drive, M240 costs 35K. Again purely illustrative using round numbers.
Right, I knew what you meant

Even with all this, I am not trying to take away from the 235/240, they are still amazing cars. But I don't know why people feel the need to try and show up the M variants. This was also true for sometime with the top end 3 series etc vs the M3 and such.

I had an e36 M3 back in the day, and the argument was, why buy an M3 when you can just mod the 328 to be almost the same thing. Or 335 tuned vs M3. And the thing is, at the end of the day, you might be faster, or make more power, but the overall experience is not going to be the same. More goes into the car than just power numbers. You would be surprised down to some of the smaller details that are different, even on e36s, which were arguably the least different from the non M. With the e46 M3, the e90, F80, and now the F87vs F22, there are pretty pronounced differences that you are not going to get around. And there are some annoyances you will ultimately encounter.

One big gripe I do have with the F22, that the F87 does not suffer, is sticking wider wheels on the car. We are fairly limited with what we can do on our cars due to the offsets. Its a little disheartening that I can stuff way thicker wheels and tires on my 18 year old Z3 that makes crap for power than on my 235 which really needs it. M2 for instance, doesn't have this issue, you can stick some pretty meaty rubber due to the wider fenders.

One part of the above equation people talked about, of money spent on the 2 series to outperform the M2, if you were to add in the cost of brakes, subframes, and fender widening, you are going to overshoot the cost of the M2 by a heavy margin, and still, as you mentioned, its not going to do much for your resale.

This has been discussed to death over and over in all honesty though. For practical reasons, in what 99% of people will use their cars for, the non M F22 is very close to an M2. I mean stop light to stop light, you wont really feel too far behind an M2, nor really on brisk drives etc.

But if you track your car, and really like to push it, and that feel is important to you, the behavior of the car at its brink, there is no denying the M2s superiority in this respect.

But at the end of the day, each car is great in its own right, trying to constantly peg them against each other and claim one as the better is pointless. They are both better at their respective purposes, and both are great. Buy the one you want, the one prefer. It shouldn't matter, for all intents and purposes they are so close in price anyways.