United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpo Karate View Post
GO SPEED RACER:

The M240 with the DINAN INTAKE/EXHAUST/COMPUTER-TUNE is pushing out 425HP with Torque numbers in the 480s which are crazy high numbers and no street car truthfully could have much more power than that which could be used without risking jail time and loosing your license and then you’re walking making car noises because thats all you can drive anymore, your legs.

DINAN STUFF:

I have to say I love the sound the DINAN Exhaust makes. I live the extra HP it gives. I love the response the car has with that balls to wall torque it pushes out. The badge? Meh.. I could care less about the badge, I was just tying to point out the silliness of the point system and that it means money spent not necessarily performance gained. I have driven M3s and M4s and personally I think they are too physically big (I call them daddy cars on lots of steroids) I love the one and two series cars because it’s smaller and to me sportier/racier and maneuverable. Not a speed boat on wheels. That’s just me, they seem to big to me to be a “Sports car.” The one and two’s to me are pushing it but still passable.

M2 VS M240 discussion:

M2 MSRP - $53,500
M240 MSRP $45,300

That’s $10,200. So my only point is if you buy an M240 and invest $6,000 (Computer, intake, exhaust, suspension- springs, cambers, bump-stops,) with OZHLT 19” rims) you save save $5K and the car is faster and will handle arguably equally as well. Yes the M2 has a higher ceiling but then that’s according to DINAN $8,000 above and beyond the already almost $10,500 more you have spent. So yes you’ll have reached that higher ceiling at almost $20,000 more invested at that point. Where as M240 + DINAN means a better performing car than the stock M2 at an over $5,000 savings. That’s all I was saying. Not really really comparing all the exponential possibilities and capabilities. I don’t care for automatic vehicles i learned to drive in Europe and think automatics are lame, so mine is a manual 6 speed so that’s a non issue in comparing them. Put 19”OZHLT RIMS on or just buy the M2 rims and sell the M240s, but the OZs are better rims and can be actually be cheaper. Put the 6K in with he rims and it’s more powerful and super well handling car for less money. But again, if you’re trying to use this on the street, hopefully you like Bologna sandwiches and kool-aid because that’s what you’ll eat for a few days in lock-up and you’ll be walking after that. A DINAN M240
Is already more than you can use on the street so unless you’re go Ng to spend some time and money on the track, the M2 just to me isn’t worth it. That goes I think to your basic point.. for me, in reality, in DC, the M240 DINAN is the better buy dollar for dollar, HP to HP and in speaking with DINAN they also agree.

THE ROADS:

Now with all that said the roads in the greater washingron DC metropolitan area are terrible. Potholes, chopped up roads, grooves in the roads, speed bumps that could double for skateboarding ramps, salt and sand from rough winters and so on. The roads around here are things that nightmares are made of. The M240 is already so low that it’s somewhat problematic in nature and to lower it with lowering springs would only further exacerbate the problem. Camber plates, bump-stops? Maybe. Lowering the car around here? I’m not so sure.

Please don’t get me wrong, I like the DINAN stuff a lot, I just wish they cared a little more about the customer. The peace of mind is worth it. Fortunately the local DINAN dealer / installer is across the street from BMW and does it for local BMW dealerships, they have a cooperative relationship.

In the end I’m a sport-biker at heart and if anyone has the true need for speed? How about my YamaYZF? The R1 has a 0-60 of 2.6 seconds. What’s going to beat that? Any M car? The Ferrari 488, McLaren or a Lamborghini can’t beat that. And the R1 is slow compared to some other bikes like the GSXR of the Hayabusa.

Anyways, thank you again, I greatly do appreciate your input it was very helpful. This is all still an education for me and a work In Progress. Thank you!

You are taking the power numbers at face value, and that's just not quite correct. A B58 equipped M240i is a bit more tune friendly than the N55, but that is to say, an FBO tuned M2 will still be pushing in similar territory numbers wise.

But you are talking base price M235i/M240i. The M2 already comes with a bunch of stuff equipped as standard.

You can price out a 240 to high 50s easily. If you get a stripper sure, but even with all of that, you have one big limiting factor you aren't taking into account, and that is the subframes and suspension on the M2 are quite different. You have much more room to play with on it vs the F22. You have better brakes, wider rubber, more room to stuff larger wheels, and suspension is all better from the getgo.

Trying to match the M2s overall feel and performance is not going to be as cheap as you suggest. Now if you want to look at lap times, even on short tracks, the 235 is a decent amount behind the M2 in quite a few tracks. We don't have a specific M235 ring time, but we have an M135 for comparison, and its more or less close, we can say +/- 4 seconds, still puts the Non M at a significantly slower pace around the ring for instance.

But all of this is magazine bench racing. At the end of the day its down to a personal decision, but any claims that the M235 or M240 are better cars because you can dump a few thousand and for the same price have a faster car is kind of moot. If you want the same equipment in both cars, and a Limited Slip, they are much closer in price. The MSRP on my car was around 52k for instance, that's well within striking distance of the M2, unfortunately for me, there was no M2 when I got my car, but I am happy enough with the 235 that I am not exactly longing for the M2. But if I was back in 2014 looking at a car to get, M2 1000%.

Each car is different and unique in its own way. The M2 is much more raw, and it can be a pain to live with if the roads in your neck of the woods are unforgiving, but around the track it is a much more fun car to drive. Stock for stock, I drove M240s around the BMW performance center in Thermal, and while a capable car, it is nowhere near as raw as an M2 or m4. The suspension was softer and more bouncy, the car gave out traction much earlier, and was overall less composed.

I don't want to make it seem like the 235/240 are crap, it is still a great performer and a lot of fun to toss around, but just for comparison sake, the M4/M2 feel way more stable and grippy.

But that is precisely the point here, sure you can dump 6k and be in a similar price range, but at the end of the day, the M2 is the complete package already... and then some.

The very fact that you are using it as a benchmark for your mods is telling to begin with. Also at the end of the day, the M2 will typically turn more heads as well.
Will just add that even if you spend the exact same 240 $ + mod $ versus M2 $, assuming you aren't going to keep the car forever, come resale time that mod $ is worthless and may in fact hurt the value of the underlying vehicle since most used buyers want stock cars that haven't been abused. So in 3-5 years the M2 could end up costing quite a bit less all things considered.
Appreciate 0