View Single Post
      12-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #37
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I now know why these parts were developed. There was a noticeable difference in two of three primary sources of noise. First, road noise was most noted for reduction. Apparently, these seals block the path from the front wheel well area. Second, engine noise....no, not exhaust sound, but engine roar from the engine compartment was somewhat muffled, although not to the same degree as road noise was quieted. I did not find any change in actual wind noise, which is more a function of upper body air flow.

AlpsRider, you caught a break, as the part number on your receipt is for a less expensive part, but one which is oddly co-listed as part #5 on the BMW parts explosion diagram. I spend some time with the parts manager, and the actual parts you and I got are represented by the part numbers I listed earlier. Your part on the invoice is for a "frame", not a "seal". We could not figure out what the "frame" was, but the actual seal parts total about $49 for both sides. My wonderful dealer installed them for no charge. I think the improvement is worth that cost.

My comments apply to a coupe bodystyle. I do not know how significant the effect would be on a convertible.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
hoppy6698127.00