06-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #36
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnk210 View Post
So if I hop into a 370 from a 350, would I feel right at home or go WTF?

I have limited experience in the turbo 6 BMW's, but I don't consider my 350Z a rough motor despite it's truck heritage.
The 370z is, by all accounts (including mine; I've driven a couple of 350zs), a sharper car performance-wise and closer to a raw sports car operationally; both were Nissan's primary aims when it redesigned the car. It got rid of a lot of the bloat and numbness, particularly regarding the suspension, weight, and steering. Unless you're a big fan of the 280z-to-300zx bloat effect during the 1980s, I think you'll like the 370z compared to the 350z.

As for the motor's ability to rev: it doesn't sound all that bad. I always found the stock motor heavy and sluggish in that regard compared to other cars like it, particularly winding down from higher revs with no throttle input. An effect like that is usually due to a lot of inertia in the drivetrain: heavy flywheel, high relative compression ratio, etc. It's not a dealbreaker, just notable as a tendency of the car.
Appreciate 0