quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Mineral White M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
The automatic is not boring at all when you are driving like an as*hole. I feel its very engaging. As long as the pedal is to the floor, you should not be bored, ever! Will this process consume all your petrol, of course, but at least you can say you weren't bored. lmao

Manuals are cute, but no way better than the 8AT or dual clutch in terms of speed, excitement and engagement.

In the Sport + mode on Manuel Mode, you can literally let the rpm needle bounce off the red line numerous times and it won't shift for you like in BS Japanese cars. You can control that needle with precision and the more you practice and get better the less you will think about that manual
I agree 8AT is not boring at all. I was about to get the manual but when I test drove the 8AT and really pushed it to the limits on some winding roads, it was so much more fun, what with being able to always keep two hands on the steering wheel with the paddles and having almost zero delay between gears. There's a reason F1 ditched manual trans years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
BMW says .1 second difference between auto and manual in the 228. And having driven both , the manual feel faster imho.
.1 seconds under best conditions if you can match BMW best test driver on his best run each and every time, right? Whereas AT is always going to give you the same times...so it really comes down to the driver's skill for controlling the launch and shifting at optimal points and even then he's at a disadvantage. Feels faster is not really a quantifiable metric but thats why its your opinion. What you're feeling as faster is probably that 1st gear can take you since to a higher velocity since its a 6 speed vs an 8 speed.

2015 F22 Mineral White Metallic M-Sport 228i
2007 E92 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 328i
Appreciate 0