View Single Post
      03-22-2024, 06:50 PM   #18
LivNLearn
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive 1997 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Something is not right. The spring should be in contact with the lower spring seat on the strut. It doesn’t contact the full circumference because it’s the end of a coil spring but it’s in contact with roughly 1/2 the circumference - I can’t even see where they’re in contact in your picture.

The adaptive struts/shocks are a conventional monotube gas charged damper with an electromechanically controlled valve stack on the piston. Except for the electromechanical valve actuation, the edc damper works just like any other monotube damper. For the front strut, the spring will be preloaded/compressed between the top strut mount and the strut lower spring seat. There should be zero play in the axial direction between the spring and the strut piston rod. If you can move the strut body any distance without the piston rod immediately moving the same amount then it suggests either the strut is blown or the top mount has failed. Does it do this on both front struts or just one side?
Based on what you're saying it sounds like there's no gas remaining in either strut. I've not seen a gas-charged strut compress this easy for an inch. I also understand what you're saying about the spring not making full contact with the lower seat.

Here are more pictures of the spring seat. I can't get great ones as I can't hold the flashlight and the camera at the right angles together. And yes, it does this on both sides.

I put the video on YouTube if you'd like to see it.

Here are more pictures of the spring seat. I can't get great ones as I can't hold the flashlight and the camera at the right angles together. And yes, it does this on both sides.
Attached Images

Last edited by LivNLearn; 03-22-2024 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0