View Single Post
      10-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBimmer View Post
Hey fellas. So Im thinking about getting into a 228 and trying to decide between the '15 or potentially a '17 230. I already know I'm set on certain things: MSport, 6MT etc, but Im really sorta stumped on the suspension options and what may actually be the better choice and in this case it sounds like that may kick me from one model year into the other. Ive dug around search-wise but not gotten a great feel for owner opinion and living with the car/choice so any opinions or feedback would be very helpful.

Im wrestling with the difference in drive quality between the static MSport suspension and the dynamic/adaptive MSport/Track package in the later models. There are obviously pros/cons and opinions on both sides but Ive gathered that the track package/adaptive suspension may not be all that great, sort of jack of all trades, master of none trade off. The static MSport with stiffer springs may be a better option, albeit maybe less versatile?

Anyway, I was hoping to find the sort-of enthusiast oriented preference/consensus on the performance aspect of these two options. For perspective Ill probably never track the car. I will take the twisties at every available opportunity, though.

Any help or owner perspective would be appreciated!
I never track my car either and am convinced the Track Handling Package is sorely mis-named. I believe you may have the logic reversed of its benefits. By providing the different settings, ranging from Eco, Comfort, Sport, to Sport+, the THP cars are actually not the "jack of all trades/master of none" which suggests a compromise rather than targeting and doing very well at specific capabilities. The Comfort setting, for example, is quite noticeable and allows me to get over poor quality roads or allow my passenger (mostly, my wife) to find general riding around to be comfortable. When alone, Sport or higher changes the personality of the car quite a bit and it does a great job of firming up for more aggressive handling.

The concern you have about the MAdaptive is logically more applicable to a single fixed suspension which has to compromise between ride and handling for all situations. I'm not at all saying the fixed MSport suspension is not well calibrated, but it is only one thing and doesn't have the versatility to provide you with the choice for each situation.

Whatever you do, take one more step. I also go twisty or even traffic circle hunting sometimes, and swapping out the lower control arms for the M2 parts is a great mod....Turner Motorsports has the kit.

Good luck with your choice!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0