View Single Post
      01-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Neat review, thanks for sharing it. Seeing the Calder art car as a child cemented my early love for the marque.

As a historical comparison to the '73 2002 turbo, the '73 Vette managed 250hp from a 5.7 liter (hi po 350) or 275 from a 7.4l (454); reported times vary, but the page I pulled up listed 0-60mph at 7.2, and 1/4mi at 14.7 or 15.5. Not sure the 2002 was ever exactly a supercar, but it was a revolutionary performance milestone.

And I really love the fact that they wouldn't let them put the reverse 'turbo' lettering on them because it was considered too "aggressive" for the autobahn (more impudent than aggressive, really). Apparently it was put there to counteract the tendency of a-bahn drivers to only pull over for a faster (more expensive) car - so they could see it was a turbo. I guess this upset the royal hierarchy (and a bunch of uptight rich Germans) by spanking so many euro sedans of the day, and out of spite they made it go away. I've been thinking of adding that logo to my 228, more out of nostalgia than aggression (now that everything on the road comes w/ a turbo).
Appreciate 0