danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
The thing to remember is that I didn't say or mean to imply that the M235 "lost" or was smoked in any way - but it was definitely slower. Different drivers, same roads...which doesn't even matter that much to me. My main gripe is that an older, less attractive 1er still feels more engsging and sporty to me. That was something I had forgotten until yesterday.
One thing I forgot to mention, which I think would have an impact on feel, is that my car does not have the adaptive suspension. I'm not sure whether the adaptive suspension at its firmest is the same as the basic sport suspension or even firmer, and I'm also not sure how much the adaptive suspension softens in Sport or Sport+. The only thing I can say is that I'm very happy with the one degree of firmness my suspension has. It's substantially less harsh than my '07 328i in almost all situations, but it's still firm enough that I can feel what's going on underneath me (particularly important given the reduction in feel through the steering wheel). Compared with my 328i, there's a hint more body roll in the 228i, but the 228i also sticks to the road a little better over all but the sharpest bumps.

So, I wonder, could the adaptive suspension actually be reducing the fun a bit or does keeping the car in Sport or Sport+ keep it sport-suspension firm all the time?

As for speed, that's so much of an upgrade for me with the 228i, it's not even funny. I finally passed the break-in period about a week ago, and I just can't believe how this little 2.0-liter pulls. And yet, my mileage is still about 3 MPG better than my 328i on the same roads. In every way except low-RPM smoothness, I prefer the 2.0-liter turbo to the 230HP I6.

Appreciate 0