View Single Post
      10-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Rodent damage

I have a 2014 M235i and live in Southern California. Generally I park in the garage, but we're having work done on it so I've been on the driveway for the last 3 months, next to my wife's X3, which is *always* on the driveway.

We went away for the weekend and when I came back I drove my 235i with everything fine. The next day I got in the car and it wouldn't start. BMW came and got it and later told me some rodent had chewed through part of my wiring harness and the car was showing over a dozen faults. They said this happens relatively frequently and once they had to total a car because the harness cost more than the replacement value of the older car(!) The tech said that as the weather gets colder, this happens more frequently. Of course the repair isn't part of the covered maintenance, so this will be out of pocket. We live near many trees and some horse stables, so squirrels and rats have plenty of habitat nearby.

Questions:

-Does this happen frequently with others?

-Wondering why my wife's X3 has had no trouble like this for years when parked outside?

-I haven't checked yet, but does anyone know if car ins generally covers this kind of thing?

-I'm totally worried about this happening again a week later...is there anything that people use to prevent this from happening again.

Sure I could stake a cat to my car at night <cough!> but short of that does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA!
Appreciate 0