View Single Post
      11-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

E85 mix w/AA8 tune

I've got hi flow catted downpipe and AA8 box set at 1 notch above default setting. Power has been solid with no hiccups. Yesterday I added 3 gallons of E85 to 10.7 gallons of 93 octane which in IL has 10% ethanol. Which would put me at E26 overall (assuming the E85 isn't already reduced for Winter already) The car pulls noticeable harder at all rpm's and is smooth as can be with better throttle response.

Don't think I'll make this a habit, but would like to honestly. I understand a flash tune or JB stage 2 are recommended for adding E85, but at lower levels like this, is there much risk if any? My understanding is that you can create a too lean condition with too much ethanol and no timing adjustment for this. Was thinking of doing just 2 gallons which would be E20; my understanding is that Brazil is E25, soon to be E27 and BMWs there are the same with no adjustments to handle the extra ethanol, so my logic would be E20 should be ok as I haven't heard of a high failure rate in Brazil for BMWs or any other newer car for that matter because of the higher ethanol content. In the winter most E85 is closer to E60 or E70 so even less ethanol till next Spring. The corrosion thing is really a concern for cars built prior to the 90's from the research I've found. So really just the too lean condition which I guess my question is at E20-E25 is this even viable concern when countries already have this?

Thoughts, comments, concerns appreciated.