View Single Post
      01-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBII View Post
You are obviously a person of impecable taste in cars. I'm also going from a ZHP 6 speed to an M235i AT. (just started the order today for Welt delivery). I agree on almost every point except the manual in the f22 is really fantastic, I found it equal to my ZHPs if not better; albeit the car is 130,000 miles old.
130k miles? That might as well be new! Apart from the whole subframe issue (my 328i sedan had a 5" tear), they are super great cars. The car never really gave me issues, but I traded it for my E92.

I definitely wouldn't mind an E46 again, but probably a Touring next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Great review and comparison between the two cars. As a former owner of an early e46 323i and also an e36M3, I can agree with you on all points. In regards to the steering, you said it well. They are different, and the hydraulic steering of the early BMWs isn't necessarily "better". The F22 steering is actually more precise, albeit a little lighter. After getting used to it, I prefer it more than the hydraulic ones on the early e46 and e36. The hydraulic steering of the e46/e36 has a heavier feeling, but IMO, it is slower, and had on-center play. That is, at speed, you could move the steering wheel 5-10 degrees left or right, with no effect on the steering. In the F22 (in sport+ mode), this is not the case. The steering is quicker, and it reacts to the slightest movement of the steering wheel. I'm not sure if the e46 ZHP steering had on-center play or not, but I do know that they increased the steering ratio on it vs. the earlier e46s to make it feel sportier.
My E36 M3 coupe has absolutely no play. Granted, the previous owner did retrofit a ZHP steering rack. That thing handles like a freaken monster (I can't take the credit for all the work that was done though), but it needs better tires this summer. Also wider wheels up front too.

In terms of this whole steering feel, I don't hate EPS by any means. I'd much rather have every new car feel like the E36 or E46, but the EPS is not a deal breaker for me. It is accurate, I just wish it was just a tad heavier.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0