View Single Post
      07-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M Sport

My new 228i M Sport

I'm the proud owner (actually lessee, but have a feeling I'll buy the car at the end of the lease) of a 228i M Sport ... my first Bimmer. Black sapphire metallic over terra leather, M Sport brakes, premium package, lighting package, and of course, a 6-speed manual. It even has a factory-installed black kidney grille, which was apparently still an option at the time the car was ordered, and gives the car an almost menacing look.

The story of how I found this car is interesting: I had planned to order a similarly optioned car and pick it up in Munich in the fall, but circumstances forced me to track down a 228i earlier than that. I was shopping around, not having much luck with local dealers, and on vacation in New England when I spotted this 228i for sale at a dealership there. It turned out to be almost exactly what I'd planned to order -- the only difference was the interior; I'd wanted coral red, but was pleasantly surprised at how good the terra leather looks on this car, and was sold on it immediately. I was surprised to find a car optioned this way on a dealer lot at all -- finding a 6MT is next to impossible -- but it turned out that my enthusiast-minded CA had ordered the car for himself, and then realized he'd need a slightly larger car for his family. Lucky me!

Having had the 228i for a few days now, my impressions are these: I've driven a few BMWs in my lifetime, mostly E34/E36/E39 and later, but this is the best one I've ever driven. It simply feels as intuitive as any classic BMW would, with stellar handling (I don't mind the electric steering as much as I thought I would); a brilliant engine and transmission; and an outstanding, driver-oriented interior. BMW may be a rapidly changing car company, but in my mind, this 228i is a reminder that the old magic is still there.

A few pictures are attached -- it's been overcast in the DC area for the last several days, so I'm waiting for sunshine before taking some better shots!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0