View Single Post
      01-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #111
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattgfx
Ive said this many times its not a true M car. Audi has their S line(example TTS) and Audi has their RS Line(TT RS). BMW is moving towards this instead of "M Package" its now M Performance.
Audi has been so much more successful in their "s" and "r" branding than BMW.

For instance, I think an A4, S4, and RS4 are all desirable and represent fairly distinct models.

For the 3 series, I see the 335 M Sport to be a 335 with lots of pretender M badging. There is really just a 335 and an m3.

I think this stems from the fact that for a time the Audi "s" model was really the sports model. The "r" was a much more hardcore and rarer car. It just so happened that the BMW M models were better compared to the "r" models than the "s" models. While "r" models are not as rare as they once were, I think Audi has preserved this notion that base, s, and r are different cars. For BMW, M sport is just lame cosmetic stuff.

Back to the topic, the M235 is truly confusing because it is more like an "s" model that does come with really enhancements over the base 2 series. It is neither a 2 series M Sport or an M2. It is an M235i.

Oh BMW. Why can't you get your act together and make sense like the old days?
Appreciate 0