10-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #146
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
honestly bmw peeps are always annoyed by the 1 series because it is THE spiritual successor of older BMWs.....bar none. there hasn't been any other car in the BMW lineup in recent years that is able to capture the old school BMW spirit like the 1 series has. it's way more fun to drive than the 3....it looks funky like older BMWs and not generic like the more mainstream bimmers.....and it has character.....plenty of it! your loss, mate!

the 2er is growing on me a bit....but it needs a shot of character. I hope the 235 styling gives it a bit of boost in the attitude department!
The 1er may be the the spiritual successor of older bmw's from a driving perspective, but from a design perspective, I dont think so at all. When I think of BMWs, the first ones that come to mind are the E34, E36, E39, and E46... all of which were relatively boxy/squarish cars. Very german. The 1 series has to be the most round, bulbous bmw ever made.

Im agreeing that the 1 series has merit from a driving perspective. Granted, it wasn't out when I got my E92, but I think a lot of E92 owners/E90 owners would have picked the E82 had it not been for its radical styling. Hence why a lot of us are keeping close eyes on the 2. I didn't want/need a car as big as the E9x, and I'll be the first to acknowledge its shortcomings as a "fun car".

If the 2 can nail the driving dynamics in a way resembling to the E46/E82 without trying to do so much with its design, I think it will be a much more popular car than the E82 was. This is a good thing, because the new 3, 5, and 6s are pretty big letdowns for BMW faithful, and the 4 series has now gone more A5/Eclass coupe than driving machine. i understand BMW has to put business first, and that means appealing to badge snobs and people who want a comfortable, well rounded car... but it'd be pretty cool if I could have a comfortable 3200 pound daily driver that gave up some luxuries for the sake of fun.

And I mean no disrespect with my opinions of the E82's styling. If you like it, then that's all that matters. Thumbs up
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0